April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month, and an ideal time to get screened for Oral Cancer in Dallas, TX. Although the disease can be treated, early detection is key to ensuring the best results. Here are seven things you should know about this type of cancer:
· Almost 50,000 people in this country will battle oral cancer this year.
· People who have certain strains of the Human Papillomavirus, or HPV, are at higher risk.
· Excessive alcohol usage can increase your risk of oral cancer.
· Awareness can increase your chances of identifying the disease at an early stage.
· You are at higher risk if you have a history of heavy tobacco usage.
· People over the age of 50 are typically more at risk than younger people.
What to Look For
Six months may not seem like a long time between dental visits, but a lot can happen in just a few weeks. You can periodically check inside your mouth for any signs or symptoms of oral cancer during this time if you know what to look for. Let your dentist know about any of these symptoms if they persist for more than two to three weeks:
· Swollen tonsils
· Sore throat
· Any sores that do not go away
· Red or white patches
· Persistent pain, tenderness or irritation
· Swelling in the back of your mouth or in your neck
· Eroded areas inside your cheeks or on your gums
· Rough spots
· Crusty areas
· Difficulty chewing or swallowing
· Difficulty speaking or moving your mouth or tongue
· A change in how your teeth fit when you close your mouth
· Numbness in your mouth or around your lips
If you have any immediate concerns, give us a call. The Neeley Dental Group can be reached at 866-910-4918. Schedule your appointment to get screened for oral cancer in Dallas, TX, today.
Currently rated by 0 people